Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Southern Vampire Mysteries: Dead Until Dark, Review

Sookie Stackhouse is a small-time waitress in a small-town Louisiana. She's quiet, keeps to herself, and doesn't get out much. Not because she's not pretty. She is. It's just that, well, Sookie has this sort of "disability". She can read minds. And that doesn't make her too dateable. And then along comes Bill: he's tall, dark and handsome-and Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's exactly the type of guy she's been waiting for all her life.
But Bill has a disability of his own: he's a vampire. Worse than that, he hangs with a seriously creepy crowd, with a reputation for trouble-of the murderous kind.
And when one of Sookie's colleagues is killed, she begins to fear she'll be the next.

REVIEW:
Curiosity is the main word which describes why I bought this book. I've already seen True Blood and of course I wanted to read the book. Seriously now, the show has too much sex and violence which brings your interest up.

I'm not going to tell you the story, but I'm going to tell you a bit about the two main characters: Sookie is the main character. We are following her mind and thoughts. She is crying a lot, but she recognizes what is happening around her and tell us what is going on. She is not selfish, at all, and she helps Bill despite the fact he's a vampire. But she is a little naive, especially when she learns that Bill is really dead and not a sick person. Bill is the other main character. He is a vampire who tries to leave among humans. When the murders happen, he is calm and gives everyone a reason why he is not a suspect. He knows his powers and what he is and can do and doesn't do foolish things, like attacking Eric even though he wants to.

In the beginning I thought it's going to be boring, because I've already seen the show and I knew what will happen in the end. Well, I was wrong. At the start, there are many similarities, but as the book goes on there are lots of differences. There were scenes I wanted to read and didn't find in the book. And there were scenes that were extremely different than the show. There are characters the series doesn't show, and characters in the series that doesn't exist. Although, the book is written by Sookie's point of view, there are not many emotional scenes. And her relationship with Bill is not as romantic as other relationships. So, if you believe that the book is going to have too much sex and violence, you are wrong (I'm saying that because I know people that hated the show because of these).

Last thing I want to tell you is that: this is my review for only the first book, so if I'm wrong about the similarities and the differences between the show and the book, time will show, so will my next reviews.

Generally, it was a nice book, really interesting and I recommend it to everyone out there who enjoys vampire literature.

6 comments:

  1. No not much sex eh? well...still i don't wanna read it...i dislike that much the show and i can't give justice to the book. Even after your review, i still don't wanna read it..Weird..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope you are right I've read all the books apart from the last two and they are totally different to the series - in fact one of the main characters in the series dies in book two or three... two I think. I couldn't believe it! The person who died in the car in the parking lot in the series is not who died in the car in the parking lot in the books... if that makes any sense at all :) I think I prefer the books because there are so many other characters and I prefer Tara in the books to the one in the series...plus Bubba (Elvis) isn't in the series... and he is a fab character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i haven't read the book, but i'm a fanatic of the series, it's true that it has too much sex & violence but it's a show that makes you stuck !
    i'm like you.. i don't really wanna read the book cuz i've seen the series and i think it'll be boring.. after your review i'll think about it again;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yiota: Seriously?? I thought my review will change your mind....Anyway, it's your choice. No judgement....
    Carmen: You made me even more interesting in the books now....Plus, you reveilled too many things (Bubba looks like Elvis? That's something the first book doesn't mention)....
    Athanasia: I don't mind at all the sex & violence. Actually, I found really bold the fact they decide to do sth like that....And yes, if you have time, try the books....

    ReplyDelete
  5. @nina: i don't know..i just dislike this thing too much XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. @yiota: i think u are a true blood "hater"!!! it's a good series, i don't know about the book but u have to admit that u wanna know more, u can't guess what will happen to the show.. give a try to season 3 too and if u don't like it at all then don't try the books either or season 4 !!!!!

    ReplyDelete

There is lot of spam lately at the posts, so for a while i will put up the comment moderation. Sorry for that, i really don't like it but i thought it might stop the spamming. It will be down soon enough! Thanks a lot :)

© Splash Of Our Worlds. The content of this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s authors and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
Creative Commons License
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...