Monday, October 22, 2012

Book Review: Caught In A Moment

Caught in a Moment is the story of Alex Trueman, a teenager who daydreams himself unwittingly into the strange world of Intersticia. This is a world outside of ordinary time, that exists in the splender intervals between instants. From Alex's point of view the world around hom freezes into immobility. At first it seems that he alone is free to wonder the hushed streets with their montionless cars and people. But he is not alone. Alex soon discovers that he shares this worlds with others. There are a few dozen fellow dreamers who share his fate. There is plump, bespectacled Will, pretty brunette, Kelly and rebellious outcast Paolo. Presiding over them all the enigmatic Ganymade, an irascible vagrant who distributes food to his dependents and sets them perverse tasks to perform in return.

Alex soon finds that he has rare skills in Intersticia. Almost uniquely he can affect the montionless world of 'Statica' around them. He can open doors, help himself to food and move objects. But this forbidden activity soon sets him on a collision course with Ganymade in which the very existence of Intersticia is put at risk.

Caught in a Moment
Publication Date: 2012
Pages: 261 (paperback)
Part of Series: -
Purchased: Review for the author
Rating: 3/5 stars
Buy: Book Depository || Amazon (US) || Amazon (UK)

REVIEW:
This book was asked to be read and reviewed by the author. I was lucky enough to be provided with a printed copy, which I think was amazing.

I liked by the synopsis that it had to do with parallel worlds. I haven't read a book like that for a long time and I instantly felt curious. The characters, even though young, were nice enough and I liked that they weren't stupid or too scared to do nothing. There are all different, so you can possibly relate with them. I, personally, couldn't, only with some of their decisions.

The descriptions were amazing. I noticed that the author is British, and I don't know if that counts, but I found the language used rich and being used better than other books. It was kind of difficult to adjust in the beginning, it didn't look like a book for younger readers, not because of its content, but due to its rich and well used language. Probably, because I'm not used in reading British novels.

I thought it was a stand alone novel, but it turned out to be a trilogy, which I don't understand. It looked just brilliant and complete. The ending was fast-moving and so very anxious. I was sitting at the edge of my chair until I reach it. And it left you with some small, but smart questions, like the movies, where you can imagine what will happen next, but you're not completely sure, because there are many possibilities.

But it was perplexed. There were various things with which the author was playing. Angels, science fiction and weird creatures, all mixed together. Sometimes it felt out of control. And as the story was flowing, new facts were getting in the way, that I, at some point, felt lost and tired.

Bottom line, I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I loved the writing and the end. On the other hand, I hated how complicated it became. Now, it's up to you to choose if you're going to try and read it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There is lot of spam lately at the posts, so for a while i will put up the comment moderation. Sorry for that, i really don't like it but i thought it might stop the spamming. It will be down soon enough! Thanks a lot :)

© Splash Of Our Worlds. The content of this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s authors and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
Creative Commons License
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...