Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Author Interview: Kimberly Derting

So i had the chance as part of the tour to interview Kimberly Derting and i can't tell you how excited i am! I asked for many things i wanted to know on her books and her ideas and i hope you enjoy it as much as i did!!!

I want to start by asking you how you feel about your book being out there (and now the second one too). There are so many YA books coming out each year so how do you feel about yours to be published?

It’s been a dream come true for me! I’ve known that I wanted to be a writer since I was in the 7th grade when I took a journalism class. Of course wanting to write didn’t mean I’d be good at it. I wrote my first book when I was 20, got an agent, and thankfully that book never got published…it was awful. But, it was also really great practice!

What was the first thing you did when you learned you are getting published?

I was actually camping with my family when I got the call from my agent, so we were all together. After jumping up and down (and screaming A LOT!), we drank warm champagne out of plastic camping cups. I know...gross!

Did you expect anything of that fame when you started writing?

I didn’t know what to expect, which was probably good since it’s been kind of a whirlwind. I travel a lot, have a lot of deadlines, meet so many amazing readers, and get to write the books I love! It’s everything I ever wanted...and more!

Now your book was translated in other languages too. It's actually one of the few(and i mean the word few!) YA books translated here in Greece! How that sounds?

I’m so excited that my books are now being released in other countries (and yes, very excited that it’s coming out in Greece!), but it’s bittersweet since I can’t be there to celebrate each launch!

On to the story now! How did you come up with the idea? Is there a reason you picked to write supernatural/fantasy?

Unlike the idea for my other series, The Body Finder, which came to me all at once, the original idea for The Pledge came in pieces...more like a puzzle. The first piece was just a simple question: “What would it be like if someone could understand all languages?” But I definitely wanted the story itself to be bigger than just that component. I spent a lot of time—over a year—thinking about how Charlie’s ability would work, what kind of world she would live in, and developing the monarchies and her friends and family, before I’d ever written a single word.

I talk more about how I got the idea here:


Share some of your favorite YA books with us to see your style!

The Curse Workers series (WHITE CAT, RED GLOVE, and BLACK HEART) by Holly Black

DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth

THE SCORPIO RACES by Maggie Stiefvater

BEFORE I FALL by Lauren Oliver

CITY OF BONES (the entire Mortal Instruments series!) by Cassandra Clare

The BEAUTIFUL CREATURES series by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH by Carrie Ryan

The WICKED LOVELY series by Melissa Marr

ENDANGERED by Eliot Schrefer

You can find The Essence (The Pledge #2) out now and her other series The Body Finder! 
Don't forget to follow the tour for reviews,guest posts and of course giveaways!


No comments:

Post a Comment

There is lot of spam lately at the posts, so for a while i will put up the comment moderation. Sorry for that, i really don't like it but i thought it might stop the spamming. It will be down soon enough! Thanks a lot :)

© Splash Of Our Worlds. The content of this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s authors and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
Creative Commons License
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...